Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quote Post

After my hockey game this weekend


First time watching me play and clearly impressed by the level of play he was watching.


I started vacuuming the other day and ethan said he wanted to help so he ran in the office and grabbed the dust buster to vacuum the carpet.


Football game.

















Eating a hot dog. The most recent food he has discovered he actually likes



Typical night... ethan acting weird with no pants on.


Not a ton to report, but I thought I'd give an quick update and include some of the quotes Ethan has used lately.


The biggest thing around here has been Ethan's illnesses. He had a really, really bad cough a couple weeks back that kept both he and I up all night and when we went to the doctor the next day they discovered he not only had an infection in his lungs he also had a double ear infection. So, we got some antibiotics and spent a few days trying to get him to do his nebulizer. It was pretty hit and miss with that. During this time Ethan turned into well... he was a booger again. And, that's putting it nicely. Tempers were often and their intensity was ratched up quite a bit as well. On top of that I was Ethan's least favorite person on the planet. Kari was the only one he wanted and if I attempted to hold him or comfort him or really interact with him at all it ended with him yelling at me and me feeling like a less than stellar parent. So, when you get older Ethan and are reading this remind me to thank you for that time. Anyway... after we had completed his medication he didn't seem to be getting any better so back to the doctor we went and he still had both the lung infection and double ear infection. So, they tried a stronger antibiotic and recommended more nebulizer treatments. That night we gave Ethan the new antibiotic and he woke up the next morning covered in hives... sooooo BACK to the doctor again. Apparently Ethan, like his mother, is allergic to penicillin. So, another antibiotic was prescribed and we were sent home. THANKFULLY, this one did the trick and Ethan is feeling much better these days and is back to his normal ornery self... but at least this version isn't constantly throwing tantrums.


A couple weekends ago we brought Ethan to the ISU football game. He really enjoyed the tailgating aspect and had a good time eating and playing football with us. He's too young to realize the most enjoyable part of a tailgate is getting hammered so the pain of watching ISU losee another game is lessened. Though, they've won 6 games this year which is more than the last two combined... and we have a rookie coach. So, perhaps things are looking up? Take that Chizik... you big giant douche. Anyway, Ethan last in the game until the second quarter started and then Kari took him out to the car. I switched with her after the first half was over. He was pretty good for her. He wasn't good for me. See the part above where Ethan thinks daddy sucks at life. He spent the next 30 minutes crying and I stood outside the car cause I couldn't take it anymore. Eventually he calmed down and I held him for a while and he eventually passed out for the rest of the game.

This past weekend Ethan came and watched me play hockey. He was really excited the entire day to come and watch and actually paid attention almost the entire hour. Kari said he eventually figured out which one was me without her telling him and he'd follow me on the ice which I'm sure is extremely difficult because of my incredible speed. After the game Ethan informed me that 'i play hockey tomorrow'. That made me smile... hopefully when the time comes where he can actually play he still shows some interest.

I guess the only other thing worth mentioning is that Ethan is kind of a little girl when it comes to injuries. Tonight he bumped... and bumped may be too strong of a word here. He grazed his head on the wall, flew into tears and demanded ice for his head. Lately any time he gets hurt he has to have ice for his injury. Or a band-aid. He clearly needs to toughen up. I think at daycare they give them ice when they get hurt just to calm them down though.

I'm guessing anyone who hasn't had a kid in the last 10 years hasn't seen these shows, but a lot of the kids shows today are 'interactive' where the show asks you a question, waits for you to answer and pretends you answered right. It drives me insane to watch these shows... especially Dora cause that one half-ass tries to teach the kids spanish as well. Anyway, just recently Ethan actually started answering the questions the shows are asking and interacting with the shows how they are intended. So, that's pretty fun to watch. I still hate the shows though.

That's about it other than a few minor stories...

Tonight, Ethan was going potty like normal and then he climbed up on the sink cause he wanted a drink and apparently walking back out to the living room and drinking out a cup like a human wasn't good enough... so instead he put his face under the sink to drink. After a couple drinks I decided he was done and he decided his thirst wasn't quenched so he turned and started to put his head in the toilet to get a drink... he hadn't flushed yet after going potty. I panicked and yelled at him to stop just before his mouth hit the water. I don't know how I would have explained that one to Kari...

And sticking with the bathroom related theme... now, when Ethan pees standing up he also spits into the toilet... Kari is very impressed. If only we could figure out who he picked that habit up from...... I guess it will just remain a mystery for all of time.

Here are some funny things Ethan has said lately:
"No way... that's garbage" when talking about something he didn't like.
"Here you go, guy" when handing me a piece of paper I had dropped
"These bubbles aren't working right. I think I would like to try the blue ones instead." Mostly funny because of how proper it sounds.
"We don't chug it." when talking about how we should drink pop because every time he gets even a little he slams it as fast as possible even though we always tell him not to chug it.

And lastly I thought I would show you an example from tonight of just how much Ethan enjoys being naughty. Prior to this video Ethan had bounced his football off of the table 5 times. And each of the previous times he had been told that was naughty and not to do it again. I want you to pay close attention to the smile he gets on his face and the laugh he emits when he turns to look at me. I actually filmed it twice so it's a combination of the two... the smiles were bigger before he saw me grab the camera cause as soon as he sees that he wants to see what was recorded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qRafR6DZA

No comments: