Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bring on the healthcare reform...

I tired to upload pictures 3 times and all three times it failed. So, after cursing at the computer a few times I've give up. Hopefully the videos make up for it and I will upload at a later date. Sorry for the poor video quality... And you may have to have your speakers up load to hear him. As always the videos can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jmlbrett

Ethan and me dueling with his swords. He dies a dramatic death before exacting revenge upon me.



'Running' through the sprinkler tonight...




New entry… has to mean a trip to the doctor’s office for Ethan, right? Yep… Three actually. The first was Ethan’s schedule allergy appointment. He did really, really well. He didn’t get the full ‘poke test’, but he did get tested for 40 different allergens. They don’t actually pierce the skin anymore like they did when I had it done. Now, they just use a sharp piece of plastic and she pushes that on the skin with a liquid form of the allergen on it and they look at the resulting bumps to determine allergies. Ethan only really reacted to 4 of them. He’s allergic to peanuts, dust, dogs and cats. No outside allergies and no other food allergies. I was surprised because when he plays outside and rolls around in the grass he always develops welts. The doctor did say food allergy tests are inconclusive. Apparently, your body doesn’t react the first time you are exposed to food. It has to be multiple times… so, some of the foods he was tested for were ones he’s never eaten before so we’ll see what happens in the future. For those of you worried, the doctor wasn’t concerned with the dog allergy because it doesn’t affect his breathing… just gives him some welts. So, Homer is safe. Which is a relief… I’d really miss all the whining, timid behavior and butt licking. The disappointing part of the results is the allergist doesn’t think Ethan’s recent exacerbations of asthma are caused by allergies like Ethan’s pediatrician thought. Though, he did give us a daily inhaler for Ethan to use that should hopefully help.

Appt. 2:
The week after the allergist Ethan developed a runny nose and it of course went straight to his lungs so he was wheezing, coughing and having trouble breathing. I got more than a little pissed at that point because I felt like the doctors were just giving us the run around and nothing was making him better. So, back to the doctor we went and he said we should try and not use the prednisone this time and just see how he responds to the nebulizer. Thankfully he did well with that and prednisone was not needed. Since then we have made sure he’s used the daily inhaler twice and (fingers crossed) he hasn’t had another infection.

Appt. 3:
It was last Thursday. Wednesday night Ethan’s right eye turned pink. We hoped it was just dust or something that got into his eye at the park. But, he woke up Friday morning with gunk in his left eye though it was still clear. His right eye was still pink as well and daycare called and said his left eye turned pink during the day. We took him to the doctor and he confirmed it was indeed pink eye and prescribed drops for the next 5 to 7 days.

I don’t have a whole lot else. Though, Ethan did find out yesterday he will be moving up to the Robin room at daycare. He is VERY excited about this. He’s been talking about it for months. It’s kind of a relief for us as well. Even the teachers were telling us that he was growing bored with his current room so hopefully moving up will provide more challenges and he’ll continue to learn new things. Other than that Ethan just continues to be Ethan. He still surprises me all the time with all that he knows and remembers. And, he finally broke 30 pounds in his last trip to the doctor. I’ve been waiting for that forever.

I’m tempted to put Ethan in tee ball or soccer or some sort of sport this summer just to get him out. But, I just don’t think he has the attention span for it. Most things outside of Spongebob Squarepants only hold his interest for a couple minutes at a time. And, he spends enough time staring off into space and chasing birds at the house… I don’t want him to be that kid when he goes out for sports. So, maybe next spring…

Some Fun Short Stories:
A few weeks ago Linda came over and Ethan, Kari and Linda planted some flowers in the pots around the house. Ethan has his very own duck watering can so he was very excited to use that.

Recently Ethan learned how to tell secrets. His current favorite is to tell you he has a secret and then whisper ‘you’re a stinker’ in your ear. It’s pretty amusing.

I was recently sitting in the back of the car with Ethan when Kari had to slam on the brakes or swerve…. I can’t remember which. Anyway, I simultaneously did everything I could not to mess my pants and said ‘holy cripes’ at the same time. Ethan replied, ‘what did you say, daddy?’ Realizing I was busted I said, ‘I said holy wow, bud’ to which Ethan replied… ‘no you didn’t… you said holy cripes.’ Whoops… Though, in my defense it could have been a lot worse.

The other day I picked Ethan up from day care after we left his room he said, ‘I missed you today, daddy. How was your day?’ That’s the first time he’s ever said or done something like that to me. Usually that’s what I tell him when I see him. It made me smile. Made me realize how much he’s growing up.

Whenever I get out of the car with Ethan I left him lock my car by pushing the button on the fob which of course makes the car honk. Ethan now has a horn on his trike and when he gets done riding it he honks the horn and says it is locked. And, at that point you are not allowed to move it without getting a dirty look from Mr. Ethan Robert.

Recently Ethan has decided that answering questions with the word ‘gooky’ is funny. For example:
Me: ‘Ethan, what do you want to eat?’
Ethan: ‘Gooky’

Me: ‘Hey… what’s your name?’
Ethan: ‘Gooky’

Pretty funny, huh? He calls me Gooky as well. And, now when we sing songs before bed he likes to incorporate the word into the song. Some favorites:
‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Gooky’
‘The Wheels on the Bus-Gooky’
‘Mary had a Little Gooky’

Anyway, the first night I did the ‘Mary Had a Little Gooky’ song I realized that’s really not such a good idea. Lamb is 1 syllable. Gooky is two syllables. So, take the one syllable version of gooky and suddenly I’m teaching Ethan bad things. So, we’ve modified that song to be ‘lamb-gooky’ even though it doesn’t match up perfectly.

Ethan is now saying pocket correctly! If you’ll remember back he has been saying ‘hocket’ for a long time. The other night he said pocket…we weren’t sure if we’d heard him correctly so we asked him to say it again and lo and behold he had indeed said pocket.

Last night, Ethan was putting his hand in a cup of water, then making handprints on the cement. At one point he looked up and announced… ‘this is kind of wet.’ That made me laugh due to the sheer absurdity of it. Let me get this straight… you’re putting your hand in water and it’s kind of wet?? Get out of here… I like to brag about how smart he is…so I have to toss in stories like this to make sure you all get to see both sides of him.

Here is something I recently noticed. When Ethan gets into one of his ‘people watching’ modes that tend to happen when we show up at parks or other social situations where Ethan is going to interact with little kids he has a bit of a nervous habit. He puts his hand behind his back and then it goes down his pants. I don’t think he actually digs in his bottom but it’s probably still something that needs to be nipped in the bud sooner rather than later. As my mom always says… he’ll never go to prom with that behavior.

Ethan helped me mow the yard the other night. As usual this adds at least 30% to the time it normally takes me cause he has me stop and turn off the mower so we can put gas in his, or so he can give me a kiss and a hug or so we can discuss a bird he just saw. I have an old pair of tennis shoes I use for mowing and as I was putting them on the other night Ethan asked why I was putting them on and I told him they’re old shoes for mowing. That night Ethan was wearing his flip flops and now he won’t wear them anymore cause they are his ‘lawn mowing shoes.’

For those of you who know Jim Smith you know he jokingly shows displeasure in others by shaking his head… He has now taught Ethan to do this as well. I think I have to be the leader in receiver of head shakes. It’s pretty funny though. He almost gets an exasperated look on his face as he’s doing it and it is normally accompanied with the phrase such as ‘that daddy’ or ‘daddy is weird.’ He is such a little person sometimes.

Tonight Ethan informed me that ‘boys have pee pees. grils(ethan speak for girl) don’t. only boys have pee pees.’ I have no idea where he learned that. I certainly haven’t had that talk with him yet. All the better in my opinion… I’m not much for 1) talking and 2) talking about stuff like that.

No comments: