Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Activities

It's the first week of June... and it's over 100 degrees. Consider my season of complaining about the heat officially open. Seriously, I hate this crap. But, that's beside the point. This is about Ethan... not me.

Anyway.

With the weather getting warmer Ethan has been spending lots of time outside. Between his kiddie pool, bike, power wheel, slip n slide and imagination he and I have spent a vast majority of our time lately outside. Below is Ethan enjoying a few of those:






Tonight after slip n slide Ethan asked if he could have some Cheerios and watch videos of trains on the iPad. I clarified the trains part by asking if he meant trains on YouTube or Thomas on Netflix. He responded trains, not Thomas. Simple enough request, right? Well, I got the cereal part right... only, I gave him Trix. My bad. After negotiating him finishing the Trix and then getting Cheerios after he asked where the iPad was and then asked me, 'dad, do you think this time you could remember I asked to watch trains... not Thomas?' Smart ass. He gets that from Kari.

Last week Ethan moved up to the rocket room! He's been looking forward to that for a while. That room is total chaos. They have kids who look as old as 6-7 in there. I walked in today and literally couldn't hear myself think. One funny thing I noticed is that the boys are all in small groups either being destructive or doing something active. A majority of the girls were all sitting at one long table nicely coloring and talking to each other. Can you say boring? I'm so glad Ethan is a boy. I don't know how to relate to that. Wait, you don't want to wrestle/play sports/video games/trucks/dig in the dirt or sword fight? You want to play dolls, have fake tea and... talk? No thanks. Even when girls get older it's hard to relate. And, the ones who know a lot about sports, drink beer and not talk about the royal wedding have to be treated with suspicion. Probably some sort of plant by the women of the world to try and get us to let our guards down and pump us for information to be used against us later. Crafty minxes...

But I digress...
Other than that not a whole lot to report. I am noticing at random times how big Ethan looks to me now. When we were doing the slip n slide and he'd get done sliding and run from one end to the other he looked like such a big boy. It caught me totally off guard. It's weird moments like that when I tend to notice that. I'm not sure why it happens or what it is. Makes me kind of sad. He's growing up so fast. Though, he still has his moments where he tries my patience with his two year old behavior. But, I'm making a conscious effort to be more patient with him. It hit me the other night that in a short time he's not going to want to play with me nearly as much. He's not going to want to wrestle or cuddle. He's going to be off doing his own thing, with his own friends. So, I need to be more cognizant of what time I have left when he's like this and truly enjoy it as much as I can.

Anyway, that's about it. Hope you're all having a good summer and that this heat breaks in two days like they say. Otherwise, it may be a while between postings as I'll be packing all my crap and moving to Canada.


No comments: