Sunday, September 18, 2011

Thomas Da Train









Today, Thomas the Train made his annual trek to Boone, Iowa to make an appearance that brings smiles to all the kids and empty wallets to all the parents. Ethan really did have a blast though. He was very excited to see him and when we finally got there he yelled "Thomas!" So, that was fun. The first thing we did was get a train tattoo on Ethan's hand. And, then it was time to ride on Thomas. Outside of the little kid who apparently doesn't get enough attention at home and had to yell every answer to the Thomas Quiz into the microphone, it was a very enjoyable ride. After a premature "Go Thomas, Go" chant we got started. The train never gets going that fast, but Ethan still had fun watching out the window. The ride goes 10 or so minutes out, then 10 minutes back the same way. I think on the way back he started to get a little bored. He started slapping himself in the head and saying "ouch" over and over. America's future is in good hands...

After the train ride Ethan did some stamping and then they had a big Thomas set up going with the latest motorized Thomas toys. Part fun for kids, part sales pitch. And, what do you know... right as you walk out of the tent with the play area you run straight into the gift shop. Which, I'm sure is just coincidentally, part of the "map" each kid has that requires a stamp to get a "prize" after you get them all stamped. Bastards. However, they did have a "learn to read" Thomas book with 5 stories so we got that for Ethan so we can start working on reading. I'm looking forward to it! Ethan also scored a new shirt and placemat. The poor kid... always left wanting.

After that, Ethan went to the bouncy house, and I went and got the stamp at story time. Lucky for me, the lady was in the middle of the story so I got to wait a couple minutes in a B.O. scented old train car before I was able to procure said stamp. Just before we left we stopped and Ethan spent some time walking around and checking out an old steam train they have at the rail museum. It would have been nice to have Papa Brett there to answer all Ethan's question. I tried my best, but ended up lying several times.

Today was also Ethan's second soccer game. The weather sucked, but Ethan had a lot of fun. Again, they got their rear ends handed to them. Seriously, whoever put these teams together is a moron. You can easily tell the kids who played before with the kids who haven't. And, Ethan's team is all of the latter. On top of that, there was a little douche bag out there who thought it was fun to push kids down. Someday soon I'm going to teach Ethan to throat punch little hooligans like that. It was fun to watch him play. He still has some work to do on the coordination as you can see from the video below. At another point during the game went to kick the ball, completely whiffed, ended up stepping on the ball and wiping out. Thankfully, like he was at the end of the game, he got up smiling. And, like I keep saying.... that's all that really matters.

No comments: