Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Awesome...

First soccer game of the season.


Tonight, I got a package with some bubble wrap. Ethan had a great time with it. Harvey wanted in on the fun too. The video is a perfect example of the relationship between the two. They fight like siblings and they are always in each other's face. On top of that, Harvey is the only one Ethan can boss around/discipline... so, he takes full advantage.
(if you listen carefully you can hear Ethan say 'Awesome' right before he yells at the dog)

This morning, on the way to daycare, Ethan told me I should get a tattoo for my car because 'it would look awesome!'. Ethan and I then had a quick discussion where I determined he really meant bumper sticker. Now, I remember back in the day how I thought mom and dad's car would look 'awesome' with bumper stickers and how dad did not agree with me. At all. I now know why. Bumper stickers are for hippies, people who regret the decision to put one on come November 7th of this year and parents who cave to their children and put on school/boy scout/etc stickers on. All that tells me is that your kid is a nerd, and you are spineless. Needless to say, it's not happening.

Last week, I introduced Ethan to the band Puscifer. And, he has decided that the song 'Man Overboard', or as he calls it 'All Hands on Deck' is the greatest song ever written. The second the car turns on he asks for it. And, once it's over he asks for it again. And, again. Now, I like the band. I like the song. But, a good way to kill a good song is to put it on repeat. I try and play more tracks from the album to broaden his horizons... but, we always end up back on 'Man Overboard'. Turns out I am spineless too.

When Ethan gets out of bed on the weekends, he is awake. There's no spooling up, no waking up, no slowly building up to conversation. I, on the other hand, am not. I don't want to talk to people. In fact, I don't even want to see people for probably the first 30 minutes I'm awake. So, weekend mornings can be a struggle. He is in my grill immediately, and I find myself reaching for the remote so I can distract him with cartoons. It's 20 questions.... and like I mentioned 40-60% of his questions don't merit a response. So, while I'm still groggy and a little tired these questions can be trying. And, if it's not questions it's vocalizing every thought that enters his borderline ADHD mind. I really can't wait for the day he can pour his own cereal. Really.

This past weekend was a busy one. Saturday morning Ethan had his soccer pictures. He then had to pick up his T-Ball uniform, meet his teammates and have his t-ball team picture. With all the over-planning this league has done do you think they could get the pictures right? Nope. Let me ask you... if you had 7 different age groups with 7-8 teams a piece and you want to take both team and individual pictures, how many cameras would you have there? If you said ONE, you can work for Altoona Youth Baseball. Un-f-ing-believable. Pictures were to start at 11. We walked out at 12:30. Did I mention awesome? Cause, that was awesome. Thankfully, the kids all seemed to get along really well and outside of the last 10 minutes or so did a great job playing with each other.

Sunday, Ethan had his first soccer game of the season. And, it was 90 degrees. And, it was April 1st. It is not supposed to be 90 degrees on April 1st. And, now I have a red neck. Well, it has begun to fade back to pale now, but for the first 3 days it was pretty close to fire engine red. But, enough about me. Ethan had a great game. He played hard. Got up after getting knocked down and scored a goal! The aggressive style he showed at the end of last year carried over. The game is much more enjoyable to watch when he's not just running around and not really accomplishing anything.

As I mentioned, Sunday was April 1st... aka April Fools. Sarah, was kind enough to introduce that concept to Ethan. IMMEDIATELY, he raced upstairs to tell me I had a bug on my head. Then, 'APRIL FOOLS!' (insert him laughing hysterically). 5 seconds later, I had a bee in my ear. Repeat the april fools and laughing. Right after that I had chapstick on my neck. Again, april fools and laughing. This continued most of the day. Isn't he a clever little one?

Ethan also informed us that he cannot be a doctor because he has to be a race car driver. And, that his first car will be a semi. That carries pop. That he will probably have to deliver pop. Though, he was concerned about keeping it cold. He also said that he and his friend Bode dig int he dirt with sticks and pretend it is poo. Also, they are both apparently allergic to everything... except poo. Sometimes the things Ethan says scare me. Seriously.

And lastly, so I don't end on a note of Ethan pretend playing with doo-doo, Ethan has gotten pretty good at the Math Dice game Santa got him for Christmas. You roll a 12 side dice to see your number, then you roll 5 other dice and you have to add/subtract the numbers that come up on the dice to get to the number you rolled on the 12 sided dice. When we first started playing this winter I had to do all the math for him. Now, I ask him to try and do the math first. More often than not he does a pretty good job with the addition. Subtraction is still over his head, but adding is going really well. It's so much fun to see progress like that. We are so lucky to be blessed with such a smart little boy. As long as he doesn't ever think I'm putting a stupid bumper sticker on my car for some sort of academic achievement...

No comments: