One day this week, (laziness strikes again) and I can't remember exactly which one and I'm too lazy to walk into the kitchen and look at his calendar, though I believe it was Wednesday Ethan got to bring his very first bag lunch to school. I'm sure the punctuation/grammar in that sentence just caused Ellen to seizure uncontrollably, but it is what it is. That's twice... in two paragraphs. Anyway... the night before the big bag lunch day I got to run to Target to pick out Ethan's very first lunch box/bag/cooler. I should call it Ethan's first awesome cause that's what it turned out to be. They had Spiderman, and all sorts of other garbage that I was debating on and then I saw it... and I knew that it must be Ethan's. It was a bag/cooler looking thing with a TRUCK on all sides of it. Of course it had to be the biggest/most expensive one at Target but after years of shopping with Kari this neither suprised nor disappointed me. I kind of expected it seeing how 50% of his genetic makeup belongs to Kari. Anyway, he didn't seem nearly as excited about it when I got home as I was. But, when we got him ready to go into daycare with it the next day he was very proud of it and was showing it off to his teachers. Kari thought a Lunchable with meat, cheese and crackers would work out since he's such a wonderful eater. Apparently he ignored the meat, ate some of the cheese and crackers and of course the cookie. Then when we got home that night he had to have it near him while he ate and kept pointing at it and saying "Truck". Turns out I have awesome taste in lunch accesories for toddlers. There has to be a market for that somewhere...

This past weekend my parents came down and Ethan was very excited to see grandpa("Papa" is what he's calling both grandpas right now) and ran to him when they walked into the house. He happened to be behind my mom so she got to see him as he ran by. The weather was friggin freezing so we spent most of the weekend inside playing/reading/whatever it was Ethan wanted to do at that time. Ethan had a great time all weekend though as did mom and dad. Though I'm not sure who took more/longer naps... Ethan or grandpa. Apparently this going back to work thing isn't agreeing with his sleep pattern from his brief retirement.
On Sunday everyone got up and played and late in the morning mom and dad headed out on the drive back to MN and Kari, Ethan and I headed to Winterset for the annual Optomist Club Turkey Dinner at the high school. This is a Smith family tradition that I was not made aware of before I signed on for this gig, but it gives me a great opportunity to work on my small talk skills with strangers... Outside of the stuffing the food was really good this year... but then again I have low standards with the quality of food I was raised on. Ellen and Kari seem to think fake/powder mashed potatoes aren't all that tasty. Oh how they would have starved in the Brett household where I'm not 100% sure I knew there was anything but powder mashed potatoes until later in life. I'm rambling... the food was good and we got to see Jim actually work(he spends a lot of time at his office, but I don't know that anyone has actually seen him do anything other than give orders to others... that and fire members of his immediate family. I wonder if Ellen sent him a card on Boss' Day that year.)
After lunch we went to the Smith household to kill time. Kari, Ellen and Linda got in their girl talk while Ben hogged the big couch and I was forced to nap in a less than ideal position on the love seat. Selfish... After that Kari, Ethan and I headed to a year end party for my softball team. Ethan played well with others, found a horse toy to ride on and threw a fit when we tried to leave. I guess you could call that a typical outing. He only took a 45 minute nap at the farm before we left so I figured he might not have the sunny disposition he normally does.
So, Kari had a late call with Sydney today at work so I got to pick Ethan up and do the normal nightly routine by myself tonight. While he was eating I was goofing around and trying to make him laugh and started making faces at him and ended up teaching him a new trick. I'm sure it will come in handy someday...

Also, this weekend Kari and my mom were changing Ethan's diaper and he pulled his butt cheeks apart for them Ace Ventura style. Hilarious... though I'm disappointed that's the second butt/burp/farting incident I've missed out on. Thankfully I don't have a picture of that one though.
On that note, I bid thee a farewell...
No comments:
Post a Comment