Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cue Jaws music...

Shark during feeding time...
Enjoying the touch pool

More touch pool


Again... touch pool

As close as I ever really want to get to a shark.


Previous shark emerging from the shadows...
Checking out some coral



Open this picture and look to the back and right of Ethan and me... creepy.


Enjoying the great barrier reef exhibit






Watching a shark and ray




Giant croc... ask Ethan what they say and he says 'SNAP' and does the Gator chomp from the University of Florida




Pretty cool coral/fish




Enjoying some pudding today.


His new favorite game...


Another week in the books… not a ton of excitement, but a few notable events.

Thursday was really not worth mentioning outside of my rap debut. I was reading to Ethan and was sick of reading the same book for the 30th time so I rapped it instead. Whoever said white boys can’t flow should have been there to see that display. Sadly, I think that was my first and last performance. I don’t think Ethan was all that impressed. He shot me down in singing and rapping in one week… apparently he doesn’t know talent when he sees it.

Friday was a pretty fun day. Work was work and was pretty boring for the most part. However, over lunch I did finally find a library. Ok… I can’t really take credit for it. Sam found it and let us know. But, it has a very nice collection of books and I’ve already found one new author and finished his book so I’m excited to go back and get another one. When you first walk in the building they have a scale model of the CBD of Sydney under a glass floor. That is really cool to see. I’ll have to take a picture when I go back this week.

I picked up Ethan that day and Kari went out with some co-workers. Ethan was in a really good mood so that helped make the night go faster for me. He seemed to be feeling better than the previous two days. However, he did have his first biting incident. at day care He and one of his mates were battling over a toy and Ethan bit him. So, he’s now an offender on an international level. The lady who works there, and I can’t remember her name, spent 5 minutes explaining to me that it was normal behavior for someone his age. It was nice of her to try and make me feel better about it, but she doesn’t know Ethan’s history and that us and biting go way back.

Once we got home Ethan had his corn flakes for supper. He also had some cheezels… and dipped them in milk before eating them. That was pretty gross to watch… but whatever gets him to eat. While I was eating I tried to entertain him by turning on some music on the laptop and we rocked out to Avenged Sevenfold. I turned on the visualization in Windows Media Player and Ethan was fascinated by the colors and changing of shapes and every time the song ended he would say ‘more, more’ so the colors would start back up.

Yesterday was terrible. Ethan was probably the worst behaved he’s been in quite some time. And, the worst part was he thought everything he did was hilarious. He was climbing up on the coffee table, throwing handfuls of milk and corn flakes on the floor, pulling all the pots and pans out, and generally doing the opposite of everything we asked him to do. On top of that the weather here has sucked for the last week or so. Its been cloudy and rainy so we’ve been stuck inside this tiny apartment the entire time. I was starting to lose it a little so in the afternoon I walked to the grocery store in the rain and did some grocery shopping just cause I needed to get out of here for a while. Last night I had to work for a while and I wasn’t all that disappointed to go in because I didn’t have to deal with Ethan for a while. He really was that bad… On my way home from work I picked up pizza and we both decided it was our new favorite. So far it has been hit or miss over here. After that Kari watched TV and I read. Pretty exciting night… but your options are limited when you have 0 options for a babysitter.

Today was better. It was my day to sleep in but somehow on those days Ethan finds a way to barge in 20 minutes after he wakes up and orders me out of bed. I seem to have an incredible ability to keep him out of the room when Kari is sleeping in that she hasn’t mastered yet… not that I’m bitter or anything. This morning we went back to the grocery store to get a few things I couldn’t get by myself yesterday.

After Ethan napped we headed to the Sydney Aquarium for the first time. That was a lot of fun. It was CRAZY busy though and the crowds were thick and I did not enjoy that. You couldn’t even get up to the exhibits at the beginning of the tour. So, we blew past all of those and worked out way to the giant aquariums/ocenariums. Spell check is telling me oceanarium isn’t a word but it was on the wall there so it must be. Stupid computers… Anyway, we spent most of our time on the tunnels in the ocearnarium where there were all sorts of fish, sharks, rays and turtles. AND, there was a feeding while we were there and that was really cool to watch. The big sharks didn’t seem to care about that, but the fish, little sharks and turtles had a field day on the food that was tossed in. The sharks were unbelievable to watch… so menacing and so big. And Kari noted that as they swam by they almost looked like they were smiling at you ready to strike. It was really creepy watching them emerge from the shadows of the tank.

After that we saw some coral, spent some time in a petting pool and then a great barrier reef exhibit as well. The last exhibit is the great barrier reef and as you exit that you walk right into the gift shop. Well done aquarium designers… well done. So, Ethan is the proud owner of a stuffed sea turtle who we creatively named Turtle to go along with his creatively named tiger and koala that are named Tiger and Koala respectively. Makes life easier…

After we got back Ethan was walking around the apartment saying “I go potty” over and over again. So, we asked if he had to go and he said yes and ran for the bathroom. This was big… though he didn’t actually go when we got there I think he’s at least starting to get the idea. I’m looking forward to the day when I don’t have to change any more deuce bombs. We had the windows open today because it was pretty cool and Ethan and I heard sirens so I said, “oh no, it’s the po-po” and Ethan got excited and said “its da po-po.” There really isn’t anything else to the story… I just thought it was funny to hear a 2 year old say po-po.

Anyway… Ethan’s new favorite game this week is pulling down his pants for no reason. Enjoy it while it lasts buddy… in a couple years people won’t think its so funny. He’s also learned blinking. Now, this doesn’t seem like a big deal since he’s been doing it since the day he was born, but now he’s consciously doing it and it takes quite a lot of effort for him and he has a good time doing it. The first time Kari noticed it was when he was in the bathroom with her getting ready and he was standing on the toilet doing the “I dream of Jeanie” move minus the arms.

Lately if Ethan ever wants or needs anything he doesn’t ask… he whines. Its fantastic. His binky could be 18 inches from where he’s sitting and he’ll say “Biiiiiiiiinkkkkkkyyyyyyyy” and be on the verge of tears instead of just reaching over and grabbing it. Like I said… fantastic. And its not just his binky… its everything. The terrible twos are off to a roaring good start.

This week there were two shark attacks in Sydney. The first one was on Wednesday and happened in the bay that I run around at lunch. Its right by our office and happened basically as I was getting to work that day. It was an Australian Navy diver on a training dive and had I stood up and looked out the window I could have watched the entire thing. It’s the first attack in the harbour in over 12 years. The second attack was the next day and was at a different beach and a surfer got hit around 8:00 PM. I believe the diver lost his leg and the surfer lost his hand. Though I could have that backwards. Anyway… its got me pretty leery on going back in the water right now. There is a Triathlon team at work and right now I’m a sub in case anyone drops out and the swim portion goes right through where the first attack happened. I think chainmail is really going to hurt my time in the swim if I end up participating…

I think that’s everything for now… hope everyone has a great week.

No comments: