Monday, May 2, 2011

Gymnastics/Tee-Ball




Last week was a big week for Mr. Ethan Robert in the realm of sports. Not that I really think of gymnastics as much of a sport. If a 14 year old girl who weighs 75 pounds can do it how hard can it really be? Minus the whole balance beam thing. I'm pretty sure I'd do irreparable damage to myself if I attempted any of that. And, things probably wouldn't end well if I were to attempt the uneven bars. Or the floor stuff. I guess it really is a sport. Just seems to girly. Anyway, after months and months of practice Ethan had his big debut last Wednesday! He was a little nervous beforehand but once we got to day care where the performance was taking place it was as if someone flipped the hyper switch and Ethan couldn't sit still for more than 5 seconds at a time. I won't go into a big description of the performance(notice I'm avoiding the word recital cause that makes it pretty femme... though, marching bands 'perform' and that's only a step above ballet on 'the most boring things to watch' totem pole) but it was basically them showing us their stretching routine, and some individual performances followed by each kid getting a medal/certificate. Now, I know I've ranted in the past about kids getting medals for finishing last but I don't see that applying in this instance. He's only 4. If he were 8 or so then I'd have a problem with it. Call me hypocritical if you'd like... I've been called far worse.

Anyway, here is the video. It's kind of long(14 minutes) but it's pretty entertaining. Sorry for the shakiness at the beginning of Ethan's individual routine. I couldn't see him from where I was so I was trying to move. At the end when he raises his arms he says 'TaDa!' but you can't really hear it.

Overall, it was a lot of fun to watch. And, on the bright side Ethan had a lot of fun doing it and didn't seem nervous at all when it was his turn to perform in front of everyone. There was one kid who did nothing but watch, and when it was his turn to do anything he hid his face from everyone and refused. I could totally identify. Strangers are scary.

This past weekend was Ethan's first tee-ball practice. He was very excited for it. He got some new shoes and a brand new glove for it as well has his very first jersey/hat. And, he's number 3 just like his dad! Practice ended up being a lot of fun. Kari helped me out quite a bit which was nice cause with 9 4 year olds running around it was a little chaotic. The kids did really well though. After running the bases to warm up we broke them into two groups and had half doing fielding and the other half hitting. A couple of the kids didn't know a bat from a hole in the ground but they all seemed to have a good time. It's funny to watch the kids whose parents have worked with them some. One kid's parents must have drilled it in his head to stay crouched with his glove on the ground while field. Cause, that's exactly what he did. Even when the ball wasn't rolling right at him he got into his stance and that's exactly how he stayed even as the ball rolled right on by.

And, not to brag but Ethan was one of the better kids there. I still think he has a better chance with hockey cause he has been absolutely bombing some shots at me in the driveway the last two weeks. But, he consistently throws in the area you are in whereas about half the kids really had no idea how to throw at all. I would have settled with them throwing like girls, but they aren't even there yet. Tomorrow night is his first official game. I have to come up with a lineup for both batting and fielding. At least with the batting I know they'll stay in order. I'm guessing it'll take all of one hit for the fielding side to turn into total chaos. It should be a fun season, and as long as the kids leave smiling I'll be happy.


No comments: