Tuesday, October 11, 2011

He Likes What He Likes.,..

Just some quick stories and observations...

Tonight, Ethan and I were eating dinner when the following conversation took place:
Ethan - "Why do you like cheeseburgers?"
Me - "Because they taste good. You'd probably like them too if you'd try them."
Ethan - "No, I wouldn't."
Me - "How do you know? You've never tried them."
Ethan - "I know... I just like what I like."
Me - [[Laughing]]
Ethan: "Why are you laughing at me?"
Me - "Because you say funny things that make me laugh."
Ethan: "Stop laughing at me. It's not funny."
End of conversation.

I like the fact he knows that he 'likes what he likes.' And, he was highly offended I laughed at him. He almost had a little bit of a hurt look on his face. That actually made it funnier. I've learned Ethan doesn't always get my sense of humor. Sometimes he laughs along when I'm joking with him, and other times he gets all offended and starts whining and getting sad. Wuss. I'm funny all the time. I know I am. He'll figure it out someday.

Tonight on the way home we drove up a little hill and then back down on the other side. Again, the conversation went as follows:
Ethan - "Daddy, did you like that hill?"
Me - "Yes, Ethan. That was fun."
Ethan - "Do you like big hills?"
Me - "Yes, bud."
Ethan - "Big hills tickle my pee-pee."
Me [[Laughing really hard]]
Ethan [[Laughing really hard]]

I guess this time it was okay to laugh.

Sometimes he says the most random things that make me laugh. And, the best part is he really doesn't know he's being funny. It's just what comes to mind so he says it.

Speaking of which... I'm beginning to think he often starts talking without really knowing what he wants to talk about. It's like he starts a sentence, realizes it's going no where... pauses for a minute and then completes some sort of thought that really has no logic. Usually this happens when he's asking questions. It's like he has this compulsion to ask, but then realizes he really doesn't have anything. Usually, it's something like... 'daddy... how old are... when you're 21 how big are you?' Which leads me into my next subject... (man, I rule with segues tonight)

Ethan is obessessed with age. He wants to know how old everyone is. What it means to be old. If 16 is old, if 21 is old. What comes after age 11? Who is the oldest kid in his class? Who he's older than. How long until he is 10. Etc, etc...

Recently, Ethan had did a project at school where they asked him what he wants to be when he grows up. On the sheet he said he wanted to be race car driver. Tonight, he informed me he wants to be a race car drive and drive a black Viper. And then when he gets a new Viper and I get a new Viper we can race together. We'll both be able to go 25 MPH he said. Apparently, neither one of us will be that good at racing. He asks me all the time how fast my car can go. I've told him no less than 50 times. And, each time it's the same... "Daddy... sometimes I forget things. Can you tell me how fast your car goes again?"

Despite my best efforts Ethan has become a Yankee fan. It hurts me a little every time he says "Go Yankees". I'm hoping someday soon he realizes the error of his ways. And, if that wasn't enough evidence that he's spending a lot of time with Papa Smith lately, he's also saying "Boo Hawkeyes!" to every sticker, flag, magnet, picture, sign that he see with a Hawkeye logo on it. It's actually pretty amusing. Looks like he's destined to be a fan of a mediocre team(at best) for the rest of his days... Though, I have noticed Ethan has grown fond of the music I listen to. He constantly tells me to turn it up when I have Tool on and tonight I skipped a Rage Against the Machine song and he told me he liked it and wanted it back on. Despite the fact I may have lost the Yankee battle, I find some solace in his musical preferences.

Last week Ethan and I were involved in an intense battle on the Kinect. He had beaten me 3 straight times at boxing. I let him win exactly 0 times. I don't get it. I think cause he's short the game lets him punch my stomach continuously and I have to hope his character gets tired so Ii can get a punch in edgewise. It pisses me off. Anyway, after taking my beating like a man and calling the game a piece of crap Ethan challenged me to a game of volleyball. I was up 2-1 when my partner set me and I went up for the big spike.... only, unbeknownst to me I had drifted too close to the coffee table so when I jumped and kicked my foot up(cause I was going to kill this ball like it was real volleyball) I ended up instead kicking the coffee table and splitting my heel wide open. Ethan found the sight of me jumping around trying not cuss incredibly amusing. I did not see the humor in it myself. But, Ethan helped me clean up the blood and put band aids on. I always wondered about the people who hurt themselves with these games and how it could possibly happen. Turns out, it's really not that hard when you're taking the game a little too seriously cause your 4 year old is beating you like a drum.

I've also taught him that the "po-lice" are sneaky. So, now each time we see one on the road he says "Look! A sneaky po-lice". And yes, he pronounces it "po-lice". I've also taught him "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself!" and "Break yourself, fool!" Tonight I may have inadvertently taught him another word... We were sitting at a stop light and despite the fact the person in front of me had a 10 car gap they refused to turn. Getting frustrated I may have said, "Just turn, you big va-jay-jay". At that point all I hear from the back seat is hysterical laughing. I asked him not to repeat it... but, we'll see what happens.


No comments: