Working hard...

Finished product.

I haven't made a gingerbread house since the 5th grade. I will more than likely not be doing it again for another 20+ years. In a unrelated note... it's very depressing that it's been more than 20 years since I was in 5th grade. Very. Anyway, it turns out my gingerbread house building skills mirror my real-house building skills. Which, is to say, I have none. And, the worst part was this house was already put together... and if it hadn't been I am 100% certain I would have smashed it. All we really had to do was decorate it. So, go ahead and cross baker off the list of things I can fall back on if IT doesn't work out. It's sad how the more I try things the more I find out I suck at a lot them. Anyway, Ethan did a great job painting on the frosting, adding candy decorations and sprinkles. I struggled through trying to use a frosting dispenser. I don't know what they're called... but, you squeeze the top and the frosting comes out the point at the bottom. At least that is the way it supposed to work. If that were the case when I squeezed I wouldn't have ended up with a big pile on the counter, table and my pants. Awesome. Twice, Ethan scolded me cause I got a little pissed and said 'this is really stupid'. I almost did it a third time and got as far as 'this is stu' when Ethan flashed me a look. Just give me another tick in the 'father of the year' race next to 'ruining gingerbread house making cause you have no patience' category. I rule.

A while back I mentioned Ethan likes to ask questions just for the sake of talking and asking questions when half the time he starts talking without really thinking of a question... I struggled a little then coming up with a good example. This morning on the way to daycare Ethan provided me the perfect example.
Ethan: 'Daddy... (pregnant pause while he comes up with something)... are all cars, cars?
Me: silence while I let that gem fully sink in
I really I wish I could have watched the decision making process going on inside Ethan's head that provided us that with that little nugget of intellectual gold...
Ethan seems to be starting to figure out larger numbers. He, of course, has the basics down. But, he at least seems to be understanding the concept of giant numbers. Today, he told me the earth is 200 and 3-0-5 years old. He said the 3, 0 and 5 individually. And, according to Ethan that is REALLY old. It is so old in fact, that Ethan thinks the earth is getting 'old and stinky'. Now, I'm not sure if he knows old people who then get stinky, or if that is based on something like old, stinky socks. But, either way it should serve as a warning to all the grandparents....
The picture below is becoming more and more common.

On recent trips to MN and back over the last couple years Ethan has been fighting sleep as long and hard as he can even though falling asleep makes the trip that much shorter. However, the last couple he's been asking for two things and then he passes out. First, he wants his blankies. Second, he wants my iPod with Tool queued up. He always asks for Tool. Nothing else. I don't know if the heavy power chords from Adam, Danny's brilliant drumming or Maynard's soothing voice do the trick... but once he puts the headphones in he is asleep in a matter of minutes. Which, then leaves me with no music because the stations between Des Moines and Minneapolis blow more than the stations actually in Des Moines. And, that in itself is a pretty big accomplishment.
Finally... I'll give you the timeout tally for today. (In Ethan's words)
1) I threw a soft ball at Zachy... I was just trying to give it to him though.
2) I squeezed Jaden. But, he squeezed me back!
So, as you can see both infractions were cleary NOT his fault...
No comments:
Post a Comment