Monday, December 19, 2011

no more booger

Ho ho ho...

Ethan and easton both cooperating for a picture...

ethan working on a viper model with a mad scientist...

trying out his new R/C truck

opening gifts

cousins!

This past week Ethan officially got older... he informed me that I am no longer allowed to call him booger. He mentioned it one night, and I didn't take it too seriously. On the way home Wednesday night I called him booger again without really thinking about it. Ethan stopped me and said, 'dad... what did i tell you? you're can't call me booger any more. you can call me mitters'. Don't get me wrong, I like calling him mitters. I've called him that for quite a while. But, I've called him booger since sometime around the second week of his life. At the time, I figured it was better than calling him shithead cause his first couple weeks of existence were a... struggle. Now, it has become a term of endearment and from time to time he still behaves in a boogerish manner. Kind of made me sad. Some days I'm really ready for him to continue to 'grow up.' I love watching him learn, change, further develop his personality and mature. But, being told I can no longer call him the name I've been calling him all his life makes me realize just how fast he is growing up. So, I will do my best to respect his wishes. But, it's going to be hard to unlearn something I've been doing for almost 5 years now.

This past weekend we all headed to Minnesota for an early Christmas celebration. Nick, Carrie and Easton came over to mom and dad's Friday night for what has become a tradition of opening gifts, starting a fire and cooking hot dogs and s'mores in the fireplace. Though, I don't think any s'mores were actually made this year. Ethan got somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 gifts that night. He had a lot of fun opening presents and helping others with theirs. It was a pretty laid back evening, but it has become a night I look forward to and thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday morning Santa made an early visit and brought Ethan all sorts of fun gifts. I think his favorites were a new remote control monster truck and a semi-truck that hauls around a John Deere tractor. He also got a John Deere tractor book that he was really excited about. He also got a new big boy hockey stick, new knee hockey sticks with two goals, some games, new legos and the new Kinect Sports for XBox. We'll see how it takes me to injure myself with this one... That morning Ethan and I were playing knee hockey against each other. I was playing goalie at the time and Ethan shot and scored. At that point he turned, looked at me and said 'I just scored cause I'm really good at this, dad. And, you aren't very good. I'm better than you, aren't I?' Don't get me wrong, I like his confidence... but, perhaps I need to stop letting him score on such a regular basis. I don't need to get chirped by an almost 5 year old like that. Maybe next time we're on the ice I light him up and we'll see just how 'not good' I am hockey... :) Later that morning, mom was talking to Ethan and said, 'wow ethan... you've gotten over 25 gifts this year.' That's really good!'
Ethan's response: 'I know... but 25 really isn't that much.'
Brat. Though, I will say he was a very polite/thankful boy over the weekend. Several times he told me 'i can't believe Santa got me a new truck. i really, really wanted one because I didn't have one like that.' So, it was nice to know that some of the gifts I purchased he was truly excited about. I probably have only 3 more years before the illusion of Santa disappears so I want to make the most of it.

Saturday night I went to the Wild game where the proceeded to turn in a half-assed effort and a loss. Mom and dad took Ethan to his first Hollidazzle parade in downtown Minneapolis. For those who don't know it is a parade where everyone is covered in christmas lights. All the floats and every person walking has lights on. Mom and dad said Ethan really enjoyed it. That night Ethan bunked with papa... he told mom the next morning he had to put the pillow over his head cause papa was snoring so loud. Ha.

And, I'm very happy to report ethan is making progress in his 'not going to the bathroom with the neighbor girl' decision making skills! I was reading in the guest room Saturday afternoon while Ethan, Jessica and Lauren were playing in the next room. At one point, Ethan announced 'I have to go to the bathroom... and you guys can't watch.' I was so proud. Almost makes up for the 'stinky together' incident from this past summer...

Lastly, Ethan has been getting on average two timeouts a day at daycare lately. Some days he still gets 0, but more often than not he has at least one and usually multiples. Kari and I have both had many discussions with him about this to no avail. Most of them result because of Ethan not listening, being loud during nap time or talking out of turn. So, it's not like he's a holy terror. But, it is frustrating to hear about them day after day. Some of the reasons he has gotten them in the past have seemed pretty lame... but, I'm sure the teachers have to rule with an iron fist in that room to somehow control the chaos. To Ethan's credit, he always fesses up when you ask him if he got any timeouts. They don't keep track of them, so he could easily lie and say he didn't get any. Hopefully someday soon he wont' have to lie when he tells us he didn't get any timeouts.

No comments: