



A new season of basketball has begun for Ethan Robert. He had his first practice 3 weeks ago and has had 2 games since. I have to say, this session has been way more entertaining to watch than the last one was. The game is more free flowing. It's not scripted like the last one was where each kid gets the ball a certain number of times and has to make a pass and you can't really play defense. This one, there is more defense, no set amount of passing/possessions and really a lot more action. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a stupid game. But, it's much more watchable this way. And, Ethan has been doing great! Whatever it was that clicked at the end of last season with his aggression has carried over to basketball. He attempts to chase down every ball and tonight I bet he brought it up the court 75% of the possessions his team had. I kind of started to feel bad for the other kids on his team. Ethan did make some good passes tonight though. Tonight, he spent more time looking in the stands while running up court than he did watching the floor. Not sure what that was about, but I'm pretty sure he ran out of bounds every single time. Good thing they're not calling that yet. Another funny thing to witness tonight was Ethan running up and down the court pulling his pants up as he went. He must get that from me... It speaks volumes about our natural speed that we can keep up with others while at the same time attempting to keep up our pants.
Last week, Ethan's teachers gave us a progress report on his learning and he is doing really well! They have no concerns with him beginning kindergarten next year so that's nice. It's a very proud feeling you get when you find out your child is doing well academically... even if it is just the basics. I won't go through the report... you can read it below:


This past weekend we went to MN again. It wasn't a real remarkable trip outside of my attempt to get Ethan to go skating in an outdoor rink for the first time. It was a complete and total disaster. Dad, Ethan and I got in the car and the entire way there he was in a great mood. We got there and his attitude went right in the crapper. He wanted nothing to do with skating. I brought his new stick he got for Christmas and I thought he might like to try using that to shoot or pass. I thought wrong. Apparently, all Ethan really wanted to do was sit/lie on the ice and cry. So, that was a lot of fun. At one point I was on my knees asking him to do something. Anything would have been better than that. I asked if he wanted to skate, if he wanted me to skate with him, if he wanted to pass, if he wanted to shoot and finally if he wanted to go home. His response to each inquiry was met with tears and a head shake or mumbled 'No'. Dad attempted to get Ethan to do something as well and he was having none of it. So, what I learned that day is skating/hockey is a Saturday afternoon activity. By Sunday afternoon he was far too tired. He had a busy weekend as usual. He helped papa pick out some new train cars and apparently Ethan has very expensive taste. Shocking. Uncle Nicky, Aunt Carrie and Easton came over as well and they brought Ethan some early birthday presents. It was good practice for his upcoming birthday party.
On the ride home we were working on rhyming because it was either that or I jerk the wheel into a bridge abutment because Ethan won't quit making high pitched/repetitive/incredibly annoying sounds. Overall he does really well on those road trips... but, by the end I think he gets pretty bored and even movies aren't enough. Ethan sort of gets the concept or rhyming... but not really. Or, he was just being loopy or saying random words rhymed with whatever words Sarah and I were mentioning despite the fact they clearly did not. It seems if you give him one word that rhymes with the word you mention than he can start listing them. But, he didn't often get his first guess right. At one point I was trying to ask him another word and I started stuttering like I sometimes do... an old co-worker once labeled it as 'Joel getting stuck in a loop' because it's usually just one word I repeat over and over. Anyway, Sarah (and others) generally find it highly amusing. And, now thanks to that influence Ethan finds it amusing as well. After I finally completed my sentence Ethan no longer cared about the rhyming game... instead he was laughing hard and asking me to 'do it again'.
No comments:
Post a Comment