Monday, March 9, 2009

Another fun weekend in paradise!










Here is a great view of the Circular Quay. The 2nd tallest building on the far left is our office building and right below is where we take the ferry to get to the beach.
Disclaimer #1: I am a not at spelling and even more horrible at grammer and punctuation. If your name is Ellen and you are an English major...please don't judge me! :)

Disclaimer #2: Most of the pictures were taken on Steve's camera as we didn't prepare and have our battery charge. I wanted to make sure Steve got credit. :)
Steve arrived in Sydney last Wednesday night and we have been busy ever since. Saturday morning Joel and Ethan went to the park near our house and then Joel got Ethan some chicken nuggets at Maccas (McDonalds). Ethan really loves to play in the play area at Maccas too. While they were at the park, I dragged Steve to the store with me. I am sure he was thrilled. After Ethan's nap we went to the aquarium right by our house. The line was huge and Joel has been there about 5 times, so he came back to the aptartment to work out while Ethan and I showed Steve where Nemo hides. :) Since we have a family pass, Steve was Joel for the day.
That night we treated Steve to our favorite pizza here. It is a large pepperroni called the Americana (go figure!) from a place called City Slice just a block away. It is like it was put there just for me!
Sunday we went to the Taronga Zoo. Getting to the zoo was very simple. We hopped on a small cruise boat practically out our back door in Darling Harbour. From there the boat makes 2 quick stops and before you know it you are at the zoo. We arrived at the zoo a little after 10 AM and didn't leave until a little after 2 PM. Ethan did great and even ate some lunch. Chicken nuggets of course! Steve had a burger and Joel and I had a chicken burger or chicken patty sandwich. The fries were good, but the sandwiches left a lot to be desired...and they come with a piece of canned beet...gross! None of us at that. Oh and it was just a hair under $40 AUD for all of that. Not a good lunch. Next time we will definitly pack a lunch like I saw all the other smart moms doing. While we were there we saw a lot of animals and even watched a seal show. Ethan really liked it and kept saying "More" everytime the seals would go away.
Here are some highlights from the zoo.









Ethan and Joel in front of the Condor. They were big.









The elephants were great. The one on the right even put on a show by eating the tree in front of it. It dropped a couple of leaves and picked them up so easily. Amazing.










Steve did a great job of capturing the giraffes with the great view in the background. In the left picture you can see the Sydnay Tower and in the right picture you can see the Opera House. The giraffes also put on a show by eating leaves. They have some long tounges.









A mommy gorilla and her baby.









A kangaroo. We thought they could be dangerous, but apparantly no one here is afraid. They have you walk through a walkabout that has no fences or anything once you are inside with the kanagroos. They seem to sleep mostly, but we did get a picture of one that was up licking his front paws.









One koala was awake. Remember they sleep 17 to 20 hours a day. Of about 6 only this one was moving around and eating. They are so cute. I want to take one home.









The seal show.

Sunday night during bath time, Joel was splashing Ethan like he always does and Ethan said, "That's Enough!" Very funny. It is like Roxanne always says, "Your going to make him mean!" Ethan put Joel in his place very quickly. Because Ethan had taken a late nap on Sunday he had trouble getting to sleep. I think he might have made it up past me as he didn't fall asleep until about 10 PM. I even woke him up from his nap after a 1/2 hour around 5:30 trying to avoid just this situation. At least I tried.

Ethan has also picked up his first Aussie word. When we have to change his diaper we always say let's go change your diaper and he will now say "Nappie. Change Nappie." Very cute! He is also continuing to spontaniously sing Happy Birthday. Today he serenaded me while we got ready in the morning. I asked who he was singing to and he looked at me and said "You!". Wednesday is Steve's birthday and today I ordered him a delicious chocolate cake. Ethan will be all ready to go and can lead the singing before we eat.

Today (Monday) Joel left work early and Steve and Joel met to walk across the Harbour Bridge. Tomorrow they are taking surf lessons at Manly beach. I am sure there will be good stories to follow that experience!

No comments: