Quick weekend update since I won’t have as much time next week cause my buddy Steve-o is coming to town.
Friday night I attended my first rugby match. It was pretty entertaining. Had a few drinks before, a few during and a few after so by the time I got home I felt pretty good. At least that’s what Kari tells me…
Anyway, Kari and Ethan had a pretty fun night. They went to the park to play, had some chicken nuggets at McDonalds and spent quite a bit of time playing in the playland there as well. Apparently there were some aggressive birds that night… one attacked the guy who sat down at the table Kari and Ethan had just finished eating at cause the bird wanted the guys food. That’s probably why there are signs all over the restaurant, and I use that term loosely, asking you not to feed the birds.
Anyway, Saturday I got up feeling fantastic… as long as you don’t mind the feeling of overwhelming sleep deprivation mixed with a jackhammer inside your skull. Anyway… we decided to make the trip to the beach cause it was supposed to be a beautiful day and with autumn arriving here I don’t know how many of those we’ll have left. So, we packed up everything and headed out. On the ferry to the beach things did not look promising… it was cloudy and Kari stole Ethan’s blanket to try and keep herself warm. Anyway, we got to the beach and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Although it wasn’t very warm the sun was at least trying to come out at that point so we used Ethan’s new beach toys to play in the sand and build sand castles. Well, I built them and Ethan wrecked them like normal. After 30 seconds of sprinkles the sun did eventually find its way out and it turned into a really nice day. Ethan and I spent quite a bit of time playing in the surf. He loved running in and out of the ocean and didn’t seem to mind at all when the waves would knock him down. He has very little fear… After a while we did some seashell hunting and got a couple of keepers a long with a few sand dollars. I think I had more fun doing that than Ethan did cause eventually he bailed on me and went back to playing in the sand.
After a while we decided lunch was in order and that once again grease was a requirement so off we went to find Hungry Jack’s which is the equivalent of Burger King over here. It definitely hit the spot. After lunch I took Ethan home to nap and Kari spent the rest of the day at the beach getting burned. Prior to yesterday our outings in the morning had ended in disaster because Ethan would crash for 15 minutes on the way home and that would be his nap for the day. Miraculously he stay conscious the entire way home yesterday and I was very relieved. I held him most of the ferry ride home and at one point he started to snuggle into my shoulder so I figured I may as well have a seat and let him sleep but as soon as I sat down he popped back up. Once I got him home I had to get his suit and diaper off and out fell a pound of sand as well. All that playing in the surf had caught up with him some. I ended up giving him a quick bath to get all the sand out and he almost fell asleep in the tub so I was excited to get him out so I could lie down. Of course as soon as I got him out he woke up like someone had given him a shot of speed… do you get shots of speed or is it a pill? I don’t know… anyway, it was ridiculous either way. I tried to take him in his room and lay with him for a while but he went ballistic so I left and let him lay there. After a couple minutes of listening to him writhe around and scream I got him up and laid him on the couch and he passed out two minutes later.
Last night Ethan did very poorly with the sleeping. He was up with us until almost 10:00 lying on the couch before he fell asleep. Then he was up again at 4:45 for good. I was really not happy with that. And of course he was tired, and I was tired so we were quick to get on each others nerves. He wanted fruit snacks so I gave him 1 of the 2 bags of fruit snacks we have left from the US. We’ve been rationing… anyway, he hammered those and decided he wanted more so I tried to give him some from here and he laid down and started throwing a fit and I ended up throwing the fruit snacks across the room. Don’t judge me… it was 5:15 in the morning and I was going on about 4 hours of sleep after not getting much more than that the night before. After that things got better and we had a pretty enjoyable morning.
This afternoon after Ethan’s nap we decided to go back to the Chinese Gardens here in Darling Harbour. It was pretty cool. Nothing super exciting and I’m not much of a plant person, but it was still pretty impressive. I think someone like Linda would appreciate it a lot more. Ethan’s favorite part was watching all the Koi fish swimming in the lake. After that we went to the park and played some before stopping at the Lizard Lounge on the way home for some wedges and refreshments. Wedges are just giant French fries with some seasoning that Kari has become obsessed with. Tonight I was all excited to grill steaks that we got at the grocery store this morning… apparently you have to reserve the grill so we had to cook them on the stove. Not happy. They were still pretty good but it was a pretty big letdown.
Anyway… that’s all I’ve got. Not my best work but its been a long weekend and I killed quite a few brain cells the other night so things aren’t exactly working like normal.
Friday night I attended my first rugby match. It was pretty entertaining. Had a few drinks before, a few during and a few after so by the time I got home I felt pretty good. At least that’s what Kari tells me…
Anyway, Kari and Ethan had a pretty fun night. They went to the park to play, had some chicken nuggets at McDonalds and spent quite a bit of time playing in the playland there as well. Apparently there were some aggressive birds that night… one attacked the guy who sat down at the table Kari and Ethan had just finished eating at cause the bird wanted the guys food. That’s probably why there are signs all over the restaurant, and I use that term loosely, asking you not to feed the birds.
Anyway, Saturday I got up feeling fantastic… as long as you don’t mind the feeling of overwhelming sleep deprivation mixed with a jackhammer inside your skull. Anyway… we decided to make the trip to the beach cause it was supposed to be a beautiful day and with autumn arriving here I don’t know how many of those we’ll have left. So, we packed up everything and headed out. On the ferry to the beach things did not look promising… it was cloudy and Kari stole Ethan’s blanket to try and keep herself warm. Anyway, we got to the beach and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Although it wasn’t very warm the sun was at least trying to come out at that point so we used Ethan’s new beach toys to play in the sand and build sand castles. Well, I built them and Ethan wrecked them like normal. After 30 seconds of sprinkles the sun did eventually find its way out and it turned into a really nice day. Ethan and I spent quite a bit of time playing in the surf. He loved running in and out of the ocean and didn’t seem to mind at all when the waves would knock him down. He has very little fear… After a while we did some seashell hunting and got a couple of keepers a long with a few sand dollars. I think I had more fun doing that than Ethan did cause eventually he bailed on me and went back to playing in the sand.
After a while we decided lunch was in order and that once again grease was a requirement so off we went to find Hungry Jack’s which is the equivalent of Burger King over here. It definitely hit the spot. After lunch I took Ethan home to nap and Kari spent the rest of the day at the beach getting burned. Prior to yesterday our outings in the morning had ended in disaster because Ethan would crash for 15 minutes on the way home and that would be his nap for the day. Miraculously he stay conscious the entire way home yesterday and I was very relieved. I held him most of the ferry ride home and at one point he started to snuggle into my shoulder so I figured I may as well have a seat and let him sleep but as soon as I sat down he popped back up. Once I got him home I had to get his suit and diaper off and out fell a pound of sand as well. All that playing in the surf had caught up with him some. I ended up giving him a quick bath to get all the sand out and he almost fell asleep in the tub so I was excited to get him out so I could lie down. Of course as soon as I got him out he woke up like someone had given him a shot of speed… do you get shots of speed or is it a pill? I don’t know… anyway, it was ridiculous either way. I tried to take him in his room and lay with him for a while but he went ballistic so I left and let him lay there. After a couple minutes of listening to him writhe around and scream I got him up and laid him on the couch and he passed out two minutes later.
Last night Ethan did very poorly with the sleeping. He was up with us until almost 10:00 lying on the couch before he fell asleep. Then he was up again at 4:45 for good. I was really not happy with that. And of course he was tired, and I was tired so we were quick to get on each others nerves. He wanted fruit snacks so I gave him 1 of the 2 bags of fruit snacks we have left from the US. We’ve been rationing… anyway, he hammered those and decided he wanted more so I tried to give him some from here and he laid down and started throwing a fit and I ended up throwing the fruit snacks across the room. Don’t judge me… it was 5:15 in the morning and I was going on about 4 hours of sleep after not getting much more than that the night before. After that things got better and we had a pretty enjoyable morning.
This afternoon after Ethan’s nap we decided to go back to the Chinese Gardens here in Darling Harbour. It was pretty cool. Nothing super exciting and I’m not much of a plant person, but it was still pretty impressive. I think someone like Linda would appreciate it a lot more. Ethan’s favorite part was watching all the Koi fish swimming in the lake. After that we went to the park and played some before stopping at the Lizard Lounge on the way home for some wedges and refreshments. Wedges are just giant French fries with some seasoning that Kari has become obsessed with. Tonight I was all excited to grill steaks that we got at the grocery store this morning… apparently you have to reserve the grill so we had to cook them on the stove. Not happy. They were still pretty good but it was a pretty big letdown.
Anyway… that’s all I’ve got. Not my best work but its been a long weekend and I killed quite a few brain cells the other night so things aren’t exactly working like normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment