
Messing around with my hat tonight
Wiping Kangaroo... story later.
Me surfing.
Blurry picture of me with the board.
I think we're on the ferry to the zoo
Swinging!
At the harbour
As 50 Cent once said… I’m back… better than ever and on top of my game. Well, not really. I’m tired, sore and sunburned. And I’m pretty sure I have a concussion from the flying headbutt Ethan delivered to my temple about 20 minutes ago. But, I’m not one to complain. However, if anything doesn’t make sense or my attempts at humor fall flat I’m blaming that.
Let’s get to it, shall we?
Tuesday was a pretty normal day for Ethan. Outside of the fact he was up late. That’s been an increasing trend lately. We put him to bed, lie with him for a while like normal and then sneak out hoping he’s asleep. More often than not lately a little person appears a couple minutes later carrying his blankets and one of his crew from his stuffed animal posse. Sometimes we can get him to go back to bed… other times not. More than once this week he was up well past 9:00.
Tuesday was a pretty big day for me. I got up at 3:45 so I could go to work and call into a team meeting. About the only nice thing about being up that early was the walk in. So peaceful and quiet. I saw a total of 12 vehicles and 10 people. 10 out of the 12 vehicles were delivery or work trucks and 8 out 10 people were either delivery or work people. Not having to fight the crowds was great… and the temperature was still cool so I actually got to work without sweating. On top of that my desk faces east so I got to watch the sun rise over the harbour. That was really cool. Anyway, I left work early that day, took a quick nap and then met Steve at the beach so we could attend our surf lesson. I had been looking forward to surfing since we got here and it didn’t let me down. It was so much fun. It is pretty hard and a ton of work so I was both tired and sore when it was all over with. I managed to get up on my second try, but I was pretty inconsistent. At the end the instructor took me and another guy out to the big waves and helped us try and catch those. Bigger waves equal bigger crashes, but that was the highlight of the class for me. Further adding to my enjoyment was getting stung by Portuguese Man O’War 3 times in the 2 hours we were in the water. The one sting got me on both feet and when got out of the water my one foot was bleeding. The instructor stepped on one and said it was the first time he’d been stung all summer. Guess I’m just lucky… Here is some info on them… concentrate on the sentence that mentions “powerful and painful” sting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War
Outside of Wednesday being Steve’s birthday it was a pretty normal day. We celebrated by getting steak dinners and beers at a restaurant on the harbor. The steak was awesome… oh, and the beers were good to. Sam and Chris volunteered to watch Ethan for us. It was nice to get out to a decent restaurant for the first time since we got here. We got to sit down, look at actual menus and I didn’t see chicken nuggets listed anywhere. We got home, and of course Ethan was still up. Sam almost had him out but then we got home so he of course popped right up. He didn’t end up going to be until almost 10:00 that night. But, he did get to share in the cake. He had been asking for it all week.
Thursday I played hookey from work and went surfing with Steve. More on that later. The big news of the day Ethan wise was that he actually went to bed at his normal time! Yayyyy! Also, last night Ethan was playing in his room and Kari walked in and Ethan had Kangaroos pants down and was using wipes to clean him. Apparently Kangaroo had messed his pants… : ) Ha ha. Ethan cleaned for a while and then said ‘disgusting’. I say that to him all the time when I’m wiping his bottom so that made me laugh. Kari wasn’t quite as amused.
Back to me… cause I am important. Steve and I spent the day at the beach surfing. To say I took a step backwards from Tuesday would be an understatement. If I were to tragically lose both hands in some sort of accident I could still count the number of things I was doing right on my remaining fingers. For those of you who aren’t good at math cough, Kari, cough, that’s 0. So, I retreated to the beach to collect my thoughts and formulate a new strategy. The next hour was much more successful. I figured out that if I slowed things down it worked better. The third hour was really fun. By then I was getting up probably 7 out of every 10 tries and beginning to attempt to steer the board. As we were about done they made an announcement over the loudspeaker that we couldn’t really hear. About the only part we did hear was ‘swimming at your own risk’. As soon as the announcement finished there was a mass exodus out of the water. Steve and I had a brief conference and decided if the locals were bailing we probably should too. No more than 5 minutes later two news helicopters showed up and hovered over the water and a couple sirens went off on the beach. We had no idea what any of it meant so we asked the guy at the surf shop and he nonchalantly stated ‘someone must have seen a shark.’ So, turns out getting out of the water was probably in our best interest. I was so sore and sunburned at that point I was ready to be done though. We got there about 11:00 and called it quits about 4:15. Apparently you have to apply sunscreen more than once if you’re out that long and in the ocean. Who knew? My head and face bore the brunt of it so I’m looking pretty stellar today.
Tonight Kari and Steve are out commemorating Steve’s last night in Sydney with us… I’m saving up to punish my live tomorrow night for a co-workers birthday. I’m kind of bummed about Steve leaving though. Its been a lot of fun having a familiar face around. Ethan and I went back to the aquarium tonight. He was very excited to go back and see the fish. We spent a lot of time in the dugong area. They have a bunch of interactive stuff there I hadn’t seen before. Ethan colored you all a picture. Feel free to download and print it out. He got a little carried away with the green. And the pirate is probably not as threatening as he could be with the purple coat and all… Tonight I gave Ethan the plate Steve’s cake had come on cause he wanted to finish the crumbs… and as it turns out he wanted to lick the chocolate frosting off as well. I looked over and saw him doing this and noticed he was licking the far side of the plate and his shirt was smack dab in the middle of plate picking up all that frosting. So, we had to do a quick wardrobe change tonight before we headed out.
Speaking of eating… he’s all over the charts with his eating lately. Last weekend when we got home from the zoo he ate 5 waffles before passing out for his nap. Tuesday night he had 9 chicken nuggets. Other times he won’t touch a thing. As Steve said, he’s like a camel. He is FINALLY starting to eat some lunch at day care. Yesterday they had minestrone soup and one of the girls was kind enough to separate out the different vegetables, rinse them off and feed them to Ethan. By doing that they got him to eat almost an entire bowl of soup. And today he had potatoes at lunch! Baby steps… but at least its something.
He also is no longer using koala or his binky at day care anymore. He doesn’t even nap with the binky. Of course as soon as we show up to pick him up he wants his binky again. Today when I got there to pick him up he had snuck into his cubby and had his bag open and had just pulled his binky back out. Caught him red handed… though he showed little to no remorse.
Here’s a fun bit of info… Ethan has smelly feet. They’re pretty bad. Ever since Ethan was little Kari has played the ‘smelly feet’ game with him where she smells his feet and pretends they smell really bad. Well, now they really do any he still loves to play that game. And as soon as you smell them and react he likes to stick them in your face even more. The other night he caught my be surprise and got a couple toes in my mouth. That was pretty gagarific.
Lastly, the other night we were all watching the movie I Am Legend with Will Smith when Ethan made his encore appearance after we thought he was asleep. Anyway, if you haven’t seen the move there are creatures called ‘dark seekers’ that are zombie like humans that are pretty scary looking. Ethan showed up right at the end when they have their big attack and he was not scared at all. In fact he seemed enthralled with the entire thing. Thinking it might scare him some I tried to take him out of the room and he wasn’t having it. If I tried to cover his eyes he moved his head all around so he could see the screen. There is a big explosion at one point as well and when it was over he said ‘more, more’. He was really upset when the movie was over and wanted to see more. I know my first experience with scary movies, Ghost Busters, was a lot less successful than that. I don’t know if he just doesn’t get it or really it didn’t scare him but I found it fascinating none the less. I was a little worried he’d wake up with bad dreams but that hasn’t happened either.
No comments:
Post a Comment