Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ha ha!

Squirt Guns are fun to shoot at dad.

And I'm dumb enough to help him reload.

Slip N Slides are fun!




... they're fun for 29 year olds too!

So, Ethan has picked up a couple new phrases from somewhere. Not sure who's to blame on this one though I definitely know its not me. This weekend 'Ha ha' appeared. He does it when he knows he's being naughty or thinks he's being funny. Its pretty similar to Nelson Muntz's 'ha ha' from The Simpsons. Here is a sample for those who are unfamiliar with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4bLNM0axE

The other one that showed up is 'Oh, man...'. He seems to use it in the right context as well such as when things don't go his way or something frustrates him. It amuses me that he for one can pick these up and two uses them in the correct situations.

This weekend my parents came down which almost always means grandma brought more food, toys and books than one child should ever need and this weekend was no exception. We now have the largest assortment of squirt guns this side of the Mississippi... I believe the count for the weekend is 7 new squirt guns. Though, one is mine so I can't put it all on Ethan. He really seems to enjoy them and yesterday while we were out playing it took grandma and grandpa about 2 minutes to turn on each other and start shooting away when they each had one. So, those of you worried about Ethan having positive role models in his life I hope this eases your concerns. He also has a whole new collection of bubble toys and sidewalk chalk. For those of you looking for a stock market tip... invest in Toys 'R Us in the weeks ahead of a visit from my parents. Mom will single handedly improve your investment.

The other big toy grandma brought down was a new Spongebob Squarepants Slip 'N Slide for Ethan... though it turns out I enjoyed it just as much as he did. Ethan was a little leery at first but once I did he thought it looked like fun but wasn't sure how to do it himself so I picked him up and more or less shoved him down and he really enjoyed that. He did a bunch of rides on both his bottom and stomach. It couldn't have been a better day for it either because with the heat index it was an ungodly 106 degrees. So, the Slip 'N Slide was refreshing.

Other than that there was just a lot of playing and Ethan being ornery. You know it had to be especially bad if even grandma noticed... There were more than a few unpleasant moments with Ethan and they're continuing into this evening as well. Yippee...

Dad and I also took the opportunity yesterday to tour Dennis Albaugh's garage in Ankeny. He is a local billionaire who has an incredible collection of Chevrolets... mostly convertibles, that date back to 1912 Little which was the name of the company before it was changed to Chevrolet. Anyway, too many cars to mention them all but it was quite the sight. Here's a link if you're interested in seeing more:
http://www.tom-phillips.info/images.a/chevy.collection-dennis.albaugh.htm

There was a car show outside of his garage as well, but what was inside the garage was worth the trip alone.

Ethan just came into visit me as I was writing this and I have music on and he asked if I was going to dance... I declined because I'm white and I lack rhythm... two critical factors that work against me and my ability to dance. Ethan took it upon himself to get down and boogey. I have the group Brokencyde playing and its heavier stuff and Ethan busted out his best mosh pit moves... it was pretty funny he was jumping all over the place and spinning in circles. I enjoyed that.

UPDATE: Ethan's moshing got a little out of control and he just face planted into the wall. No worries... he got up laughing.

I guess the other big event down here was my finishing my first Olympic distance triathlon last weekend. It wasn't the most pleasant experience of my life but I'm glad I did it and I'm thinking I'm going to try more in the future. This October I have the Des Moines half marathon and then I'll have everything I wanted to complete crossed off my list. So, I'm pretty happy with that.

Nothing major in the upcoming weeks that I can think of. But, if anything happens or Ethan miraculously gets a better attitude I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments: