Anyway, now that I got my little rant out of the way I suppose I can fill you in on the league. Ethan will play 6 games in May on both Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings. Each game will be 3 innings and each inning every child will bat and run all the bases. No matter how well or poorly they hit the ball they will get a single and when the next kid hits they will advance to the next base. The last kid to bat each inning hits a homerun and runs all the bases at once. From what I can tell the defense will be more of a free-for-all. The kids will all be in the infield and whoever the ball is hit to will always throw to first. So any, it all should be pretty straight forward and Ethan will hopefully have a great time. His team name is the Aces and they will have blue uniforms. I'm thankful the team name isn't the Yankees cause I'm not sure Ethan is ready for "the talk". You know... the one about how the Yankees are ruining baseball by overpaying douche bags like Alex Rodriguez, CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeria. I probably spelled that wrong but looking it up will ruin the flow I have going here with my second little rant. Anyway, I'd like to teach him to love the game before he sees examples of the sell outs listed above who play only for money.
While I was at the coaches meeting one of the other dad's asked 'What about helmets?' and my first thought was 'You p*ssy... they're playing with a foam bat and ball.' My second thought was 'Does that make me a bad parent that I wasn't concerned about helmets, or is that guy just a p*ssy?' After some deliberation I decided he was the problem and not me. After all, my parents thought it was fine we raced on our bikes 5 wide as fast as we could into the cul-de-sac without a helmet in sight. Seriously though, if your kid cries cause they got hit by a foam ball that was hit or thrown by a 4 year old you have way more problems than a helmet. Now watch, Ethan will get hit and cry and make me eat these words.
Other than that not a whole lot of excitement. A couple weeks back we were in Minnesota and my dad took Ethan to a model train museum and Ethan had a blast. Ethan was so enthralled by the trains he said a grand total of three words in the time they were there. They also had a kids train area where he could drive the trains and he was given a certificate stating he had done so. And, while I was at the Wild hockey game mom and dad took him back to the Mall of America to ride more rides at Nickelodeon World or whatever it was called.
Two weekends back Ethan spent time at the Smith farm surveying the damage that was done by the storm that rolled through a couple days before. Many trees were lost, a rather large shed was totally destroyed as well as some damage to the house, tractor, truck and car. Thankfully no one was home at the time. Ethan has told me on several occassions the tractor was broken and had to be fixed. Surprising that is what he picked to focus on.
This past weekend my parents made the trip down and we spent almost the entire weekend outside. The weather was perfect and Ethan had a blast. We went to the park and Ethan helped with yard work. He also found a couple Cottonwood seed pods that hadn't opened last year and brought them over to me. I showed him that when you opened them up they were filled with white, fluffy seeds. Once he saw that he spent probably close to an hour opening them up and throwing the seeds around.
(I don't know why he acted so cheesy on camera)
During the weekend dad had several 'home improvement' projects he was working on and Ethan never strayed far from his side. He was dad's mini-sidekick. It was pretty funny to listen to him jibber-jabber non stop to dad.
And lastly, tonight on the way home from daycare Ethan saw a UPS truck and yelled, 'Look, a PSU truck!' That made me laugh. That's pretty much the end of the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment