Saturday, January 31, 2009

Much More Better!

Ethan and me playing in the fountains on the Corso to Manly Beach

Ethan passed out again on the ferry home

Ethan loving the ocean

Manly to the north with the crazy ocean
Manly to the south

Ethan and Kari playing in the ocean

Ethan loves to help push his stroller around the city...

We all survived the first week of work and daycare.  I’m pretty sure I enjoyed the first week of sightseeing and relaxing quite a bit more… Once again generational wealth would be nice. 

 

Anyway… on to the events of the last week or so.  Tuesday was our first day of work and Ethan’s first day at daycare.  We took him in around 7:30, but you can’t actually leave him until 8:00 but you can eat breakfast with them.  Despite Ethan had already had his morning bowls of corn flakes we decided to go in and see if he would eat more.  He did not… so then it was off to his room to play and read for a little while.  When we left he didn’t seem to really notice so that was nice.  Work was work I guess.  Same stuff, new location.  Kari will be interacting quite a bit more with local employees during work hours.  I’m still pretty much just doing my old job… with the added bonus of network lag that can make getting anything accomplished excruciating at times due to the 1 MB pipe going back to Des Moines.  Kari had meetings throughout the day and got free lunch.  I had one meeting and did not get free lunch.  Wonder which one of us they’re trying to make happy…

 

Anyway, we picked Ethan up and they said he had a really good first day.  A couple melt downs, but overall he did well.  He was very excited to see us when we got there though.  He played well, ate lunch, napped well and enjoyed his afternoon and morning ‘tea times’.  He’ll be ultra proper by the time we head home.  Outside of the farting in the bathtub and laughing like he did today.  Anyway, that night was pretty relaxed.  At one point Ethan ordered me into the bedroom to play so I got up and went in there and as he was closing the door I told Kari, who was sitting on the couch, that it was a Boys Club, and no girls were allowed and stuck out my tongue and went PTHHHH.  At that time Ethan almost had the door shut, and he opened it back up and repeated what I said and slammed the door shut!  That got a good laugh out of me. 

 

Wednesday was more work and more daycare.  Ethan didn’t do quite as well and was crying when I got there to pick him up and was really snuggly the rest of the night.  Our current schedule is I go into the office early and Kari takes him in later and I leave early to pick him up.  We want to keep him out as much as possible… which for how much we’re paying is actually a really bad idea.  But, I’d rather have him happy than worry about the ridiculous fees we pay each day.  That kid better be a genius by the time they’re through with him though…  Anyway, that night Kari got her haircut and colored or whatever it is girls do and Ethan and I did some bonding.   I decided to take him for a walk because sitting around the apartment all night seemed like a giant waste and walks kill time.  I went a little further down the harbour than I had in the past and was rewarded with finding a giant park with slides, and sand and all sorts of stuff for Ethan to do.  He had a blast.  At first he was a little timid on the baby slide… but he quickly mastered that before moving up to the big boy slide.  That slide is probably 15 feet or so in the air and the first two times he wanted to ride on my lap and after that he informed me he was doing it by himself.  He wiped out on the cement later and scratched up his knee but didn’t cry… until I decided it was time to go home.  At which point he played it up to the point I thought a tourniquet was going to be necessary.  He was sure to show Kari when we got home…

 

Thursday Ethan had a rough day at daycare and was again crying when I got there.  That was easily his last day but the staff was really good to comfort him and give him his binky.  We weren’t sure if he was feeling the best either… he had a little fever.  Kari had some drinks with friends that night so Ethan and I did more bonding.  While he was in the bath we did some counting on our fingers and he did really well.  I was impressed anyway.  He said 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11 and another time had 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.  I didn’t even know he knew numbers over 10.  Obviously there is still some work to do but it was pretty fun. 

 

Friday was a really good day for Ethan at daycare!  Thursday they asked us if there was anything he found comforting at home that he could bring in so Kari had him bring in the Koala Linda got for him and they said that helped him immensely.  He took Koala everywhere with him.  And when he ate, he fed Koala… if he played, Koala played and if he was playing with blocks Koala played with blocks.  And, he finally started talking as well.  He won’t shut up when he’s home… good lord the child can talk but at day care he had been a mute.  So, hopefully we’ve turned the corner with that and the days will keep getting better.  Friday at lunch we found a place just like Chipotle in our building so that works out really well for me.  Friday night I went out with some guys from the office and had a good time… but, I have no idea what Ethan did here with Kari.  Just as a warning… the 5.2% beer they have here will sneak up on a guy.  Cripers…

 

Today we decided to head back to Manly beach.  But, this time we went to the ocean side instead of the harbour side like last time so we could see some real waves.  We also decided to head out earlier so Ethan wasn’t tired the second we stepped off the ferry.  Chris, a cohort of Kari’s also from Des Moines, and his girlfriend Sam joined us on the trip.  And, as Uncle Jeff says, everything went much more better.  He did great and loved the ocean and sand!  The ocean was crazy today though.  By the time we were leaving they were telling anyone swimming to get out cause the currents were too strong and they didn’t even want kids at the waterline.  Before that though we all played in the water and Ethan loved getting splashed by the waves.  He also loved playing in the sand which was surprising considering what a little girl he had been about it before.  Kari and I would build sand castles and he would destroy them.  We buried his legs in the sand and he loved that.  It was hotter than balls out though so we had to apply sunscreen liberally…  No mom, I don’t have one of those shirts yet… but Ethan wore his and he ended the day with just a little sunburn on his cheek where it apparently washed off.  Kari and I both got a little burned… but it was pretty successful considering how pasty I was.  I spent a little time in the ocean trying to body surf… but the current was just too strong and the waves didn’t have any timing.  If you’d dodge one wave there was a second one  right behind it to sweep you back.  I spent over 10 minutes trying to get out to the bigger waves and I either stayed exactly where I was or lost ground to the current.  It was crazy.  Ethan again passed out on the ferry home so again a 25 minute nap today.  He wasn’t nearly as naughty as last week when he had the short nap though which was nice. 

 

Random Information time…

We bought Ethan some ‘Mighty Machines’ DVDs before we came out and I had high hopes for them because who wouldn’t want to watch fire trucks, and construction/demolition equipment, and all sorts of cool stuff like that.  They suck.  The narrators all suck and they try and turn each piece of equipment you’re watching into a character and they talk to you and pretend they’re friends with other equipment.  Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.. Plus, it was filmed in Canada.  Nothing good has ever come from Canada… and if you’re thinking this is a shot at my love for hockey the sport didn’t actually originate there so I’m fine.  Anyway… moral of the story is I’d almost rather watch Elmo than those DVDs.  I think that says enough.

 

Ethan is as ornery as ever.  He rarely listens and just tends to do whatever he wants.  It’s a lot of fun.

 

If you don’t care about cars, or my opinion for that matter, you can skip this paragraph and be done.  But the cars I’m seeing over here are amazing.  Ferraris, Aston Martins, Maseratis, Skylines, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, and I even saw a new Maybauch yesterday.  That’s on top of all the BMWs and M-B that are just common occurrences now.  I even saw a Pugeout something or the other yesterday that was really sharp.  Even the station wagons here, at least the VW I saw, are pretty good looking.  The closest I’ve come to getting run down was on my way home from work the first day… and it was a Ferrari.  I figure I’m gonna go big if I get hit.  If that guy is ruining my day, I’m taking his $200,000 car with me. J

 

That’s all I’ve got for now.  Tomorrow should be a nice relaxing day by the pool in case anyone cares and Monday at work we’ll be watching the Super Bowl.  If only they had Buffalo Wings here…

 

On that note…

No comments: