Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Updated Birthday Post











(Ethan's hair after the nap and before the bath. Awesome.)

I hope you've all learned your lesson... :)

Anyway... The biggest event last week was obviously Ethan's 2 year old party. We had to celebrate a little early due to our impending departure. I don't think he noticed though. Before I get into that I'd like to discuss Ethan and Thomas...


As I previously mentioned Ethan received a giant Thomas the Tank tent like structure for Christmas. Pretty much every night since we opened it Ethan I have spent a majority of our time in there. He's very bossy when he gets in there... he tells me whether or not I should by lying down or sitting. He also instructs me as to where I am to position myself. Its easier to listen to his orders than dealing with a temper tantrum. Good thing I'm so flexible... like my dad says, 'a willow in the wind.' Anyway, he loves to wrestle in there. And he also likes to sit on my back and get me to buck like a horse. Usually he just falls off to the side, laughs and say "Oh no... I fall." One time I bucked a little too hard and he landed on his back right next to me. I nearly soiled myself thinking I'd hurt him but he just laughed and jumped right back up. The other night I asked him for a kiss and he gave me an emphatic 'NO' so grabbed him and started tickling him and then stopped and asked for another kiss. Again, I was turned down. This continued for quite some time. Now it is pretty much a nightly occurence.


Anyway... on to Ethan's birthday weekend. Friday Kari stayed home and Linda came over to help Kari get everything ready to go for the party on Saturday. I worked half a day and got home just after Ethan had been put in his crib for a nap. I'd say he was 'put down' for a nap but he was still talking to himself when I got there. This continued for some time and as Linda and Kari were getting ready to leave he started getting louder and it took us a couple times of him yelling before we figured it out. He was in his crib yelling "Ho, ho, Hooooooooo!" He did that for quite a while before he finally fell asleep. Sometimes I wish there was some sort of monitor so I could see what was going on inside his head. I did see a story that there is a computer in Japan that can show pictures of what you're dreaming so maybe its not so far out...

Anyway, Grandma and Grandpa Brett(that's still weird saying when its my parents) showed up early in the afternoon about the time Ethan was waking up. He was very excited to see them... one individual ranked a little higher than the other but I won't mention names. Shortly there after Nick and Carrie arrived. The afternoon was spent either relaxing or keeping Ethan entertained. That night we had the first meal consisting of pizza for the weekend. It would not be the last. After Ethan went to bed Carrie, Kari and myself enjoyed a nice sail with the honorable Captain Morgan. FYI... in a pinch Dr. Pepper and Captain isn't terrible. Anyway, no Cornholio sightings that night but I was rolling straight gangsta like usual.

Saturday we got up, had some breakfast and headed to the hotel to hang out. After Ethan hammered down some bananas he and I went swimming. The pool was freezing. Getting in past thigh deep was a challenge to say the least. We alternated between the hot tub and the pool. I tossed Ethan around in the pool and then he'd tell me it was time to go back to the hot tub. By the end it was usually one toss and then it was back to the hot tub. About that time Nathan, Amy and family arrive and the decibel level in the pool increased 10 fold. Ethan had a lot of fun throwing the balls around. Right up until the time he wiped out on the tile and bounced his melon off the floor. After that we got him dressed and headed home for naps... Like every other weekend I particpated as well.


Kari left early for the hotel to get things set up and Ethan was still asleep so I had to get him ready to go as well as collecting all of the stuff Kari forgot. Good thing I'm so responsible. Anyway, I had about 20 minutes to get Ethan fed, bathed, dressed and in the car. It was a treat cause as usual Ethan ate ridiculously slow. Like Ben Wade slow if that tells you anything. Then he wanted nothing to do with the bath but since I'm bigger and obviously way stronger he got in the tub. After he was in he had a good time... two minutes later it was time to get out and he wasn't having it. So, I got to get him dressed while dealing with a temper tantrum. Pinning a child down with one arm and trying to put a diaper on with the other is more challenging than it sounds. After that it was off to the hotel...


We arrived to much fan fare since almost everyone was already there. They all pretended to be excited for Ethan when I know they were really excited to see me. Ethan was mobbed by various groups of relatives including grandparents and 'cousins'. As usual he handled it well. Shortly there after we ate and then it was time to open presents. He was a little slower with these openings than he was at Christmas, but he still had a good time. He got lots of Elmo related merchandise which is great... for him. He also got a lot gifts that will hopefully keep him entertained on our ridiculously long flight next week. For both our sakes I hope it works out. After that it was time to sing Happy Birthday... Ethan really didn't understand what was going on at that point and kind of looked at us like we were all crazy. Then it was time to dig into the cake...which was Elmo. But, it was also very tasty. So much so that I had myself two pieces... Oh, I forgot to mention the best decoration... it was a giant Elmo balloon that sang Happy Birthday... twice. What a great purchase Kari! It probably cost $5... if we had invested that just think how much it'd be worth in 20 years.... Wait. Never mind.

After that the locals started leaving and a lot of the family headed to the pool. The decibel level in the room dropped exponentially. Ethan played with a lot of his new gifts... sheets would not be in that list though. :) There was a football game on so the people left in the room watched that and socialized... one of my strengths. Ethan lost interest in his toys after a while and wanted to wander around. We asked him nicely to stay in the room and not wander into the hallway. He responded by standing and eventually lying half in the hall and and half in the room. He gets that from him mom. After a couple hours we ordered pizza for the second time in two days. The weather was less than ideal outside. There was a freezing mist which made the parking lot/roads a lot of fun. Nick and Nathan were brave (in mom and dad's car) and went and picked up the pizza.


After supper we headed home cause Ethan was getting tired. Kari went to bed cause she's fun and I watched the Wild game. Detroit cheated their way to a 3-2 shootout win if anyone cares.

Sunday morning we got up and immediately headed to the hotel to see people off. It was great seeing everyone one last time. Eventually it was just us and the William's family from South Dakota. We played catch with the football and Ethan has a cannon. He was throwing with both hands so there's still a chance he'll be a dominant lefty. He'll be the greatest pitcher to never sign with Yankees. If they even still exist after their stadium burns to the ground...

The last couple nights as we were playing in Thomas Ethan has also had his new doctor kit in there. He really loves to shove the dental mirror in my mouth and make me a gag. Then he does it to himself and laughs hysterically. I fail to see the humor in it. Though dentists make bank so I'm all for encouraging him. We'll just have to work on his bedside/chairside manner. Its hard to retain patients when you physically assault them. I should know... my mom abused me for years while I was in the chair. :) Its not my fault I have a easily tripped gag reflex! What sadist invented those flouride trays anyway?? Would it kill them to make them a little smaller? Same thing with the mold tray for orthodontists! I was 3 for 3 puking on them with that. That'll show 'em... Favorite patient I was.


Tonight we had the first of what will surely be several birthday dinners for Ellen. We usually have 2-3 every year. Anyway, it was at Buffalo Wild Wings. I kept it classy be eating in a wife beater and not washing my hands. I may have had a wing or two more than I really needed but they have to last me a year. Again... thanks Kari. Another thing you're depriving me of so we can 'advance' your career. First the MBA and now this... if this pays off as well as the MBA we should be back below the poverty line in no time. Anyway, the food was good, we didn't get Ellen a present and thankfully I don't feel sick now. Ethan got his customary chicken basket with fries. He decided to cut out the middle man tonight and eat ketchup directly with his fingers. I don't know where he learns these eating habits. Later he did eat some celery though. Outside of that minced god-awful looking baby food I think that's the first vegetable I've seen him eat.

Anyway... this may be my last update until we get to Sydney. So, thanks again to everyone who made it down for Ethan's party! We really appreciate it and it was great seeing you all again.

Until next time... you stay classy.

1 comment:

AB said...

Fantastic as usual...by the way, they tried those tooth molds on me twice. The span between was enough for me not to remember and allow the 2nd attempt...yeah dude, I'm batting 1.000 on heaving as well...put some more gooey crap in the mold will you? Water/Goo Displacement theory is lost on so many...